Sunday, April 12, 2009

Home Distillation

Sometimes folks ask "Do you make your own Essential Oils." The answer, of course, is "No."... as the website clearly states, we import them from all over the world.

But... if I had time and energy, and a limitless source of organically grown botanicals, I would most certainly distill our own hydrosols. (I have been known to lust over some of the copper stills a friend creates.)

This week my friend Tina Sams, editor of The Essential Herbal, did a blog post about a recent distillation she did. The photos are wonderful. You may view them here, to see what is involved in producing your own hydrosols.

Doesn't it look like fun?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We have several students (of our Medicinal Aromatherapy Course) who have been called to distill. It has changed their lives!! We recently went up to an area near the Grand Canyon in AZ to harvest Purple Sage, then returned to Sedona to distill it at their home.

It really makes you appreciate all of the work that goes into essential oils!!

My husband, Leonard, hopes to build a distiller for us in the next year or so, so that we can begin to distill some Southwestern essences.

Thanks for the sharing about home distillation. It is a wonderful endeavor and I hope more people (including me!) will begin to do it!

Regards, Audre Gutierrez, ShiningSunAromatherapy.com