Saturday, June 2, 2012

Summer Citrus Cooler (and other goodies)

Just received email from a young woman complaining of extraordinarily dry skin who mentioned in an aside that she's "not a water drinker."  I hear that a lot, often from people discussing dry or itchy skin conditions. Since dry skin needs treating from the inside out...how to encourage people to drink more water?

My daughter puts a splash of any of our lemony hydrosols in a bottle (or glass) of cold water. I think her favorite is Lemongrass,  but Melissa or Lemon Verbena would work well.  I tend to add a splash of Peppermint or Spearmint Hydrosol. The freshness of mint quenches thirst like nothing else I know.

I came across this recipe a few days ago on my favorite recipe site: Allrecipes.com.     It is NOT a "fruit tea" or an "Iced Tea"... it is a delightfully refreshing flavored water, combining the flavors of Bergamot, Orange, and a hint of Rose.

Citrus Cooler: Original Recipe Yields 1/2 gallon


 Ingredients:

1 Earl Grey tea bag
1 medium orange, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon rose water (Rose Hydrosol)

Directions:

Prepare a strong cup of tea with the Earl Grey, letting the bag steep for 3 to 5 minutes. (If you let it steep over 5 minutes it can develop a bitter taste, I try to keep it to 3 to 4 minutes.)

Place the orange slices, sugar, rose water, and tea into a 1/2 gallon pitcher. Fill with cold water, and stir to dissolve the sugar.
 Refrigerate, enjoy!
One reader commented that she had a Blood Orange and used that - gave a wonderful rosy color to the drink. 

Plus...what I had for Breakfast -

I had some Croissants that needed eating up.  And, for Memorial Day I had blended up some Cheese Butter, a recipe I brought home from the hotel dining room at the last AIA conference.  It was on the dinner table ever night we ate dinner in the hotel restaurant.  It was addictive.  I could have been perfectly happy with bread, this butter, and dessert.  So, homemade strawberry jam and cheese butter, on croissants, with Hazelnut coffee.  Yes indeedy!

So you may have your own:

Goatcheese Butter:

let warm to room temperature:

4 ounces (one stick) real butter
4 ounces Cream Cheese
4 ounces Goat Cheese.

Beat together until light and fluffy.  Spread on bread, gourmet crackers, bagels, I'm thinking it might do wonderful things to a baked potato.

My Daughter-in-Law took the recipe home, which means it's worth sharing. (And, yes, it relates to aromatherapy since I first tasted it at the AIA convention.)


Enjoy your weekend everyone!


1 comment:

Ruthe said...

As soon as I can get some goat cheese I'll be making this butter. Sounds delicious! Also, I don't drink as much water as I should either. This recipe for flavored H2O is very helpful, indeed. Thanks.