Friday, April 15, 2016

Tips on Growing Younger

A reprint from April, 2010. Some friends, (much younger than me!) are rather bemoaning the condition/conditions that come with aging. I thought they might enjoy this! (Would it be too corny to label this blog 'an oldy but a goodie'?

This just in from client Ellen Wood. It delighted us, we hope it will delight you, as well.

Scalp Stimulation, Anyone?
by Ellen Wood (www.growyoungguide.com) Keynote Speaker, Author, Columnist and Grow Young Guide
Oooooh. Aaaah.  That feels soooooooo good.
            Ever have someone wash your hair and massage your scalp?  It feels so good, you’re glad your head is leaning back over the sink so you won’t drool on your chin.
            It's a time for allowing your consciousness to go to scalp and just feel the pleasure.  This is not a left-brain thinking/talking experience; it’s one of those right-brain feeling experiences.
            Scalp massage has been used by many cultures throughout history to stimulate hair growth. I can’t vouch for that, but it does increase blood circulation, which is needed to bring oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicles.  Of course, the top of your head is one of the most difficult places to get blood flowing since we usually just keep our head upright and let it sit there all day.  Scalp massage is the best way to get blood circulating at the top of your head and help prevent hair loss (or perhaps even stimulate new hair growth, as some folks claim.)
            Scalp massage has other benefits, too.  When you massage your scalp (or better yet, have someone else do it for you), you activate neural pathways to the brain and stimulate dormant brain cells. Yes!  We can increase our brain power without even struggling with Sudoku.
            Here’s one way to massage your scalp: put some Stimulating Scalp Massage Oil on your scalp, then use the balls of your fingertips of both hands and rub in gentle, circular motions over one small area of your scalp while you count to five.  Then, with your fingertips in the same place, rub in circular motions without moving your fingertips, allowing only your scalp to move while you count to five. Then move on to the next place on your scalp and continue until you’ve massaged your entire scalp.
            Another method to use for stimulating your scalp is pulling your hair, usually before your shower and after dry brushing your skin. It takes just 15 to 20 seconds total, so try this (but get your doctor’s permission first):  Bend at the waist and let your head fall forward.  Keep your legs straight, feet hip-width apart.  With each hand take a small bunch of your hair at the roots and gently yank 3 to 5 times rapidly.  Then move to the next clusters of hair and continue that process until you’ve covered your whole head.
            WARNING:  The first time I did this was several years ago when I was in my late 60s.  I was naked and when I bent over at the waist, I was unprepared for the shock of what my eyeballs were staring at.  Not a pretty sight!  I just hadn’t looked at myself naked in an upside-down position in a long time so I was caught by surprise.  If my breasts were larger, they might have covered my belly, but I’m not sure I was ready for that picture either.
            I am a proponent of loving yourself exactly as you are, so if you don’t like what you see when you bend at the waist and pull your hair, tell your belly and boobs you love them as they are and thank them for doing their job (and still being there) – or wear clothes.

No comments: